Chinese Medicine Modalities
There are a number of different methods that have been developed over the thousands of years of Chinese Medicine's history. Dr. Kurt has been trained in the use of:
- A safe and proven technique for reducing pain and restoring vitality. Acupuncture involves the use of very thin, sterile, single-use needles, which are inserted into the skin to regulate and harmonize the flow of qi (pronounced “chee”), the life-giving energy of the body-mind.
- Chinese Herbal Medicine
- The combination of medicinal substances according to ancient traditional recipes. Usually taken as either a tea or powdered granules mixed into liquid.
- An ancient practice of therapeutic exercise movements. Qigong literally means "Energy Work" or consciously cultivating and directing the life energy of the body. It is said there are over 10,000 forms of qigong, with many specific movements and exercises. True qigong involves the combination of coordinated body movement, intentional breathing, and a focused mind.
- Application of ignited plant matter, either directly on- or held just above the skin. The heat and smoke of moxa act to warm the body tissues and disperse stagnant qi, bringing comfort and reducing pain.
- A style of Japanese bodywork, Shiatsu uses a variety of techniques including deep pressure at specific points of the body to allow muscular relaxation and the release of stagnant qi.
- The ancient technique of cupping involves placing wooden, glass or plastic spheres on the body (primarily on the back). A vacuum is created inside of the spheres to build suction and extract stagnant qi and toxins.
- Accomplished by taking a smooth, flat surface and scraping it across the skin. Applying even pressure to the skin and underlying connective tissues releases toxins and breaks up tension.
- Electrostimulation (TENS)
- Blending modern science with ancient healing, the use of TENS (Trans-cutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) modifies the therapeutic acupuncture experience by safely provoking muscle activity to relieve tension and reduce pain.